UGANDA CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY
Job Title: Systems Analyst
Salary Scale: Attractive
Reports to: Project Manager
Type of Contract: Part-time (2 days a week)
Duration: 3 months
Division: Finance & Administration
Purpose of the Job:
Uganda Christian University (UCU) seeks to improve internal University management, information sharing and dissemination among the University stakeholders, the efficiency of the university operations, and ultimately cutting down the cost of running the university through a management information system. The acquisition of an integrated MIS is to support the UCU core functional units of Academics, Accounts and Human Resource.
Thus, the university seeks to hire a team to implement the UCU Management Information System (MIS) project. UCU MIS will provide tools that can be available to University managers for achieving higher levels of efficiency and productivity in the university operations.
The System Architect/Analyst’s role is to design and implement UCU MIS and enterprise software architectures that support core University functions of Academics, Accounts, Human Resource and Students’ Affairs. Where Enterprise Software Architecture defines an infrastructure that will meet the current and future needs of the university and will adapt to changing business requirements and technology.
The candidate will gain access to requirements specification document for MIS and software plans and will evaluate and select all technologies required to complete those plans. In addition, the System Architect/Analyst provides technical leadership across the UCU MIS project from strategic decision making down to the project planning level. The candidate will work closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the university. The candidate will also define and implement MIS policies, procedures, and best practices.
In his/her capacity as the Systems Analyst, the candidate will do internal system analysis and audit every six months and write a comprehensive audit report for the steering committee and university management. The candidate will also work as Integration Architect/Analyst and Database Architect.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Computer Science/Engineering or Information Systems or an International professional certification in systems analysis and design or systems lifecycle development methodologies such as object-oriented analysis and design.
- Certifications in software developing language such as JAVA, Python, PHP etc. will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years related general experience in the field of software analysis, design and development or should have ever worked as a Systems Analyst, Systems Architect, Software Engineer etc on enterprise level projects.
- Experience in the field of development of web-based applications in the latest development platforms is desirable.
- Experience in development frameworks Java Server Faces (JSF), Angular, ReactJS, Spring Boot, Bootstrap and Ruby on Rails is desirable.
- Proven database programming knowledge with PL SQL, SQL/ Optimization (expert level), Oracle and MySQL.
- Proven skills in Enterprise Architecture, Adobe Creative suit, Photoshop, etc.
- Mobile & GIS development experience will be an added advantage.
- Applicant should have a strong background in systems design and implementation (UML, modelling and documentation), including knowledge and experience with systems lifecycle development methodologies.
- Strong and effective inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of staffs.
Main duties and Responsibilities:
- System Analysis and development: The System Analyst/ Architect will analyze the requirements specification document and existing systems to design enterprise software, develop the database architecture and fully participate in the development and deployment of the UCU MIS with complete documentation and operating manual.
- In coordination with the project manager the Analyst will, design computer application systems, modules and any software components needed to support UCU MIS project.
- Manage change and Security: Modify, enrich and upgrade the MIS architecture, and manage security features and database architecture.
- Support and Maintenance of MIS: Provide support for smooth & effective development and maintenance of the UCU MIS.
- Knowledge Transfer and Training: Transfer the knowledge and skills to the university staff in charge when the system is fully functional for smooth operation and maintenance of the new MIS with the recent available techniques and assist in providing training and work with the Technical Writer to prepare the training manual and material in hard and soft copy.
- Manage the Data Flow: The candidate is also required to manage the data flow architectures from design of the MIS to the functioning system.
- Documentation: The consultant is required to document the tasks and processes as he/ she designs all the possible architectures.
- The candidate is required to propose software platforms, technologies, back-end, front-end, and other technical features for adoption and improvement of the UCU MIS.
- Review and study of the existing IT Systems at the University for Easy Integration.
- Monitor the functionality of the MIS: The candidate will monitor the functionality of the released software components/modules of the MIS and gather the status of the modules. If the modules are not functioning well, s/he should initiate remedy actions immediately and inform the Project Manager or the Senior Developer of the findings and work out a solution with the developers.
- The candidate will minutely monitor the system for exploring bugs in the system and workout with the engineers to fix and neutralize the bugs.
The candidate will prepare the following reports during or at completion of each module, work package or completion of the MIS:
- Revised Requirement Specification document
- MIS Software Design Document
- Software Test Document
- Software Implementation Specification
- Comprehensive audit reports of every module and work package
- Four System Verification Reports
- MIS policies, procedures, and best practices
- Send two (2) copies of an application letter together with an updated Curriculum Vitae and three references
- Two (2) copies of certified academic and professional certificates and transcripts
- Please Note: Applications sent online should have all the attachments as ONE PDF document otherwise they will not be considered.
The Director, Human Resource & Administration
Uganda Christian University
Po Box 4, Mukono
Deadline: Friday, 20th September 2019, 5:00pm.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.