Catholic Relief Services, Uganda Program
Job Title : Public Works Officer
Department : Programming
Supervisor : Project Manager – Public Works
Job Type : Full Time
Grade : 7
Country/Location: Uganda/ Nabilatuk
About Catholic Relief Services:
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief
and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS carries out the commitment of the Bishops
of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS’ Catholic identity is at the heart of our
mission and operations; serving people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS
works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living
in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development needs in western,
central and eastern Uganda. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture, health, microfinance,
peacebuilding and youth. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations,
including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact
CRS is leading a consortium of 8 implementing and technical partners to run a five-year USAID/FFP funded
$35 million program called Nuyok to build resilience to shocks, enhance livelihoods and improve food security
and nutrition for vulnerable rural families in four districts of Karamoja – Abim, Nakapiripirit, Napak and
Nabilatuk – which are home to 406,880 people living in an estimated 58,126 households. Nuyok seeks to
strengthen governance and gender equity, community capacity to manage shocks and stresses, traditional and
diversified livelihood opportunities and nutrition and health (including improved water, sanitation and hygiene
(WASH)) of pregnant and lactating women (PLW), adolescent girls and children under two years of age
(CU2). At the end of the program, sustainable results will include empowered, resilient, healthy families;
responsive, inclusive governance; and a vibrant private sector that engages smallholders at every level.
The Publics Works officers will oversee the public works activities implemented by Nuyok partner
organizations (Caritas Moroto or Caritas Kotido) in their designated districts. He/she will responsible for
preliminary design, contribute to detailed design, Cost estimation and construction Supervision and
monitoring public works interventions such as soil and water conservation structures, infrastructure
rehabilitation, water and sanitation works identified in village development plans. The public works
component of the program helps address underlying causes of food insecurity and focuses on natural resource
management, social infrastructure and community assets, including roads.
As a member of the Nuyok project team, you will monitor and report on all project activities in support of
Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. Your thorough and service-oriented
approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards
improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
• Supervise and Monitor the implementation of all public works activities under payment-for-work as
part of the Resilience Purpose; Ensure technical adherence to the National Public Works Guidelines as
established by the Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development for all Public Works activities;
• Support beneficiary registration, monitoring of work completion, beneficiary payment and postdistribution monitoring;
• Ensure that Community facilitators Keep an UpToDate daily registry and records of Payment for work;
• Ensure that a community-based approach to public work activity identification that is directly linked
to the Village Development Plans and Village Disaster Management Mlans and or Micro Catchments
• Ensure timely (Weekly, Biweekly and Monthly) reporting of field activities
• Proactively identify issues and concerns and use participatory processes to overcome implementation
obstacles at field level
• Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and
implementation schedules. Assist partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
• Support accountability by Identifying and documenting Human interest stories at least once per quarter
• Collect information on capacity needs of Community Facilitators and participate/ facilitate Field based
Technical training to ensure effective impact.
• Ensure that Environmental safeguards as identified during approval stage and inception of public
works are implemented and adhered to for the duration of the projects
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in any of the following Engineering Fields: – Environmental, Civil or Agricultural
Engineering with 2 years’ experience is required.
• Experience in implementing Soil and Water conservation activities, Infrastructure rehabilitation, water
and sanitation and any other relevant field using labor intensive approaches with an INGO will be an
• Additional education may substitute for some experience.
• Experience in participatory action planning and community engagement.
• Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred.
• Experience in using Engineering software like HEC-RAS and AutoCAD Civil 3D
• Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
• Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community
• Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
• Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language: Fluent verbal and written English is required, Karamojong is a plus
Supervisory: Volunteers, Gang Leaders, Project Management Committees (PMCs)
Internal: Partner Resilience staff (Integrated Water Resources Management Officer, Natural resources
officers, Social Safeguards officers
External: Implementing partners, district and sub-county local government, representatives from for-profit
and other non-profit organizations, representatives of non-traditional public donors including UN, World
Bank, and others, and relevant GoU stakeholders.
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or
her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the
commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a
part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to
serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and
vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with
dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I
understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and
my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguardingrelated topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be
• Email a cover letter and CV only to email@example.com by August 13
, 2020 at 5:00pm.
• Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject
line of the email, copy and paste – PUBLICWORKSOFFICER only
• All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED.