Opening date: Monday 12th June 2020; Closing date: Friday 19th June 2020
Interchurch Organization for Development Cooperation (ICCO Cooperation) is an international non-governmental
organisation founded in 1964 in the Netherlands and implements programmes with partners in Central, Eastern and
Southern Africa since the 1980s. We work towards a world in which people can live in dignity and well-being, a world
without poverty and injustice.
ICCO Cooperation is seeking to hire a competent and qualified person in the position of Project Officer for the
Connected Farmer project in West Nile, Uganda.
Job Summary: The Project Officer is responsible for smooth implementation of tasks entrusted to him by the Project
Manager, as he/she brings specialist skills and knowledge to the Connected Farmer project. He/she will assist in
ensuring that the project is delivered effectively and efficiently in line with ICCO’s vision and mission and themes as
well as the project description as approved by the donor; through implementation of assigned tasks within the limits
imposed by the budget and the project plan.
The Connected Farmer project offers the services of a digital platform to 1200 plus farmers in the West Nile area. It
addresses the UNCDF’s main goals of “Leaving no-one behind in the digital era”, by especially focusing the program on
females and youth employment and training in Farmer based Organisations, Cooperatives and as Digital
Entrepreneurial Agents (DEA’s), also known as Digital Village Advisors (DVA’s). It will provide farming households in
Northern Uganda with access to digital Agricultural services from farming inputs, loans, insurance, harvesting
aggregation and storage, transport logistics and contracting with off-takers. Working in a consortium with private
enterprise, ICCO will serve as the lead extension implementation agency, ensuring effective access to these digital
services for the farmer end users and their organisations. The project duration is initially set at 18 months with a
possible extension to 30 months.
Reporting: The Project Officer reports to the Project Manager. He/she liaises with the Finance and Administration
unit (FOAM appointed for Uganda), Regional HR.
Duty Station: Arua, West Nile, Uganda
Position type: Local contract
Contract type: Fixed term contract – 1 year with possibility of renewal based on performance
Proposed start of contract: July, 2020
Duties and responsibilities of the Financial Administrator:
1) Project implementation
Assist in implementation of the following project objectives:
● Validate and train farmers (including bulk upload of previously profiled farmers)
● Assist in market linkage and traceability by linking its farmers to input suppliers and off-taking
● Support Farmer Organizations to manage and support a Cohort of farmers to increase their crop yields
and sales to off-takers.
● Link stock management and bundled access to inputs (seeds, fertilizers, extension advice and
insurance) to other Input and logistic service providers via e-vouchers. Link credit services for farmers
to redeem against their inputs at the Farmer Organizations and Cooperatives.
2) Project Monitoring
● Develop clear quarterly work plans and budgets for validation by the Project Manager
● Check budget vs expenses for tasks assigned to him/her
● inform the Project Manager immediately on cases of fraud and/or corruption or over – / under spending
more than the norm, affecting the program results
● Deliver timely and good quality input to project reports as requested by the Project Manager.
● Keep good relations with team members
● Assist the Communications department with information on project and campaign issues and visits of
volunteers, press and benefactors etc.
● Assist in developing proposals at the request of the PM;
● Actively promote and brand ICCO initiatives wherever appropriate and possible;
3) Project Office Operation
● Adhere to ICCO finance policies
● Time writing and accounting for petty cash expenses
● Assist in audits of project finances.
3.2 Human Resource
● Liaise with Regional HR, inform on and adhere to existing policies (manuals) and PM guidance.
● Initiate Performance appraisal in line with ICCO’s policy.
● Contribute to improvements in the working environment.
● Ensure staff and visitors safety and keep the PM informed about safety and security as per the country
4) Other responsibilities
● Perform other duties as relevant for the project as per the PMs request
● Manage local project related security matters as they pertain to individual safety and security and offer
advise on updating the security plans.
Key Result Areas
● Project implementation
● Project monitoring
● Project office operation
Qualifications and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in development studies or related field.
• Extensive (3- 5 years) experience in project management with International NGOs and knowledge of private
sector development in African context;
• Proven track record of effective project management, preferably in West Nile region
• Specialist skills and knowledge relating to project planning and monitoring
• Excellent project planning, reporting, interpersonal and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, take direction and make rational decisions while working in deep field
• High motivation, initiative and adaptability in a challenging working environment.
• Strong skills as a member of a team with different cultural backgrounds, abilities and technical knowledge.
• Personal Integrity
• Creative and Innovative
• Open and outgoing
• Results Oriented
• People skills
• Ability to work under pressure and proactive work style
• Affinity with the protestant character of ICCO Cooperation: adhere to ICCO values and principles
More details of the job description are available here
How to apply
Interested candidates should go to https://icco.hrmagic.co/careers/job?id=NDE1 and apply online. Ensure you fill
in all the required fields and submit accordingly. The final deadline for submissions is Friday 19th June at 17:00 hrs.
Only online applications submitted before the deadline will be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by
30th June 2020.