The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs). Humanitarian Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
1. Duties & Responsibilities:
The Programme Assistant will be based in Kampala. He/ she will carryout activities to contribute to the delivery of an effective humanitarian response. Under the direct supervision of the Technical Assistant, the employee shall contribute to assessments, monitoring and evaluations of projects, as well as to the analysis of the humanitarian context in the area of coverage.
The Programme Assistant will be responsible for the following main tasks:
• Situation assessments;
• Analysis of ECHO partners’ proposals;
• Monitoring, evaluation and co-ordination of projects;
• Reporting and programme administration;
• Liaising with partners in an advisory capacity.
2. Required Qualifications:
• Have a relevant first level university degree or equivalent experience;
• Demonstrate 5 years relevant working experience in the development and/or; humanitarian aid sector / INGOs / NGOs. If the candidate does not have a relevant university degree, ten years’ work experience in the humanitarian sector will be required;
• Have thorough knowledge of the Logical Framework Approach and Project Cycle Management.
3. Required Skills:
• Fluent written and spoken English and Luganda are required with Excellent drafting skills;
• Personal initiative; ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work
to tight deadlines;
• Commitment, determination, reliability, a high degree of personal integrity and discretion;
• Ability to analyse and process complex information; ability to clearly and concisely convey information to others.
4. How to apply:
• The position is open to all nationals of Uganda and other residents holding a valid working permit or able to obtain such working permit before the foreseen recruitment date. Applications including a cover letter, a detailed CV, academic and employment certificates should be uploaded through http://uhired.me/job/330 until 23/08/2019 midnight Local Time Kampala at the latest. The vacancy reference must be clearly indicated in the subject line. DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunity. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and developments opportunities. This is a local posting for nationals open to other residents with a valid work and residence permit. The contract is initially for one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 6 months probationary period. As an indication the monthly basic salary is on average approximately UGX 6,514,614 (subject to local tax law) which corresponds to 5 years relevant work experience. The salary will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by a work certificate. In addition to this, the employee will also receive disability/retirement allowance, 13th month salary as well as a medical coverage. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Candidates who will not have been contacted by 31/08/2019 should consider that they have not been selected. Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification