Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and
post-conflict developmentservicesforthose uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently
working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected
people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflictsocieties.
The IRC began programming in northern Uganda in 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by
rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. In 2002, the IRC expanded to the remote, conflict-affected region of Karamoja
and in 2011, began working with refugees in Kampala. Monitoring the influx of South Sudanese refugees at the end of
2015, the IRC began scaling up its response to refugees arriving in the West Nile region. The IRC currently works in 9
districts in Uganda, including Kitgum, Lamwo, Kyegegwa, Moroto, Amudat, Yumbe, Arua, Kasese and Kampala. The IRC
will be moving into additional/new locations in refugee settlements in Kiryandongo.
IRC is currently looking for enthusiastic, hardworking and self-motivated persons to join our team to support the
effective delivery of the organization’s mission.
TITLE: Office Cleaner (2 positions)
REPORTS TO: Human Resource & Administration Officer
DURATION: 6 months, with possibility of extension
Reporting to the HR & Admin. Officer, the Office Cleaner is responsible for
maintaining general cleanliness of the premises at all times.
• Maintain cleanliness inside and outside of the office premises at all times on a daily basis.
• Wash floors and windows at the premises each day.
• Empty and Clean dustbins and wastepaper baskets on a daily basis and dispose rubbish in designated areas
• Ensure that washrooms are kept clean and well stocked with the necessary toiletries at all times on a daily
• Ensure that all office furniture and equipment are clean and well-arranged daily.
• Maintain the kitchen area and clean all surfaces and other appliances.
• Ensure that the kitchen store is well stocked with the necessary kitchen utilities at alltimes.
• Ensure requirements for tea/coffee making are available at the kitchen/pantry counter at all times, i.e., teacups, sugar, coffee, teaspoons.
• Assist in arranging for in house meetings i.e. (arranging meeting room).
• Undertake internal errands for staff including photocopying and preparation of documents.
• Assist with any other office duties as may be required by yoursupervisor.
Confidentiality: Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and
business of IRC acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization
without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.
Note: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for
Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC
operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti
Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum O – Level Certificate, with a good command of the English language
• At least One year’s experience working in a similar position (preferred)
Skills and Competencies:
• A good command of the English language
• Ability to maintain the highest degree of discretion and confidentiality.
• Must be detail-oriented and able to work independently with minimal
• Excellent organizational, communication and time managementskills.
• Honest, reliable and trustworthy.
• Willing to adhere to and implement the IRC rules.
• Good inter-personal interpersonal.
Please send cover letter, CV, and copies of academic documents clearly indicating the position – location that you
have applied for “Office Cleaner – Kiryandongo” to: UA-IRCJobs@rescue.org, or hand deliver to the IRC office in
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: June 30th 2020.
Please note that if you do not follow the above instructions your application will be automatically disqualified.
All applications will be assessed strictly on individual merit.