(Coalition of Conservation International, Fauna & Flora International and WWF)
To further its mission of securing the future for mountain gorillas, IGCP is recruiting a Monitoring Intern to support its collaborative work of implementing Human Wildlife Conflict monitoring and Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool together with Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) and other partners in the Bwindi Mgahinga Conservation Area (BMCA).
Work Station: Kabale District, Uganda.
Contracted by: FFI/International Gorilla Conservation Programme.
Duration: 3 months.
• Must be a Ugandan citizen
• With minimum academic qualification of a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology, Software Engineering, GIS and Data Management or any relevant field with a bias to Conservation and Natural Resource Management from a recognized University/Institution.
• Minimum of 2 years of outstanding relevant experience of working with conservation NGOs and or Research Institutions.
• Must be knowledgeable about conservation partnerships and maintain how they support project activity implementation.
• Experience in undertaking long field work in remote protected area landscapes.
• Proficient in written and spoken English language with some working knowledge of Rukiga and Rufumbira dialects required.
• Knowledge and use of Computer/GIS/Cybertracker in data collection, download and analysis for report writing is essential. Required Skills and Competencies
• Ability to work independently under minimal supervision, and to maintain flexibility in working beyond official hours.
• Working with multi-cultural local and international team members alongside government personnel
• Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in an efficient and timely manner.
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines and achieve results.
• Ability to write reports and communicate in a clear and concise manner.
• History of commitment to high ethical standards, commitment to social safeguards, transparency and good governance.
• Adherence to IGCP’s core values of Respect for diversity, Team work, Integrity, Initiative, and Dedication.
Monitoring Intern / September 26, 2019
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific tasks shall include:
• Support monthly SMART report generation highlighting status of progress within BMCA.
• Identify challenges in SMART implementation and effect troubleshooting to UWA outposts and BMCA headquarters
• Support UWA BMCA in data downloading, cleaning and management
• Conduct SMART capacity gap assessment for BMCA field personnel in data collection and develop a capacity building plan to address identified gaps Perform any other duties as required.
Contracted intern(s) are eligible for a small stipend according to IGCP policy. If your background, experience, competences and skills match the above specifications, please send your cover letter and CV inclusive of at least three professional references. All Applications should be submitted in sealed hard copies to the IGCP Kisoro or Kabale offices and/or submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IGCP is an equal opportunity employer, inclusive of intern positions.
Deadline for applications: 5 p.m. East African Time on October 14, 2019.