Human Resources and Admin Manager
Department: People and Culture
Based in: Kampala Reports to the Director Operations and Management
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI) Uganda, branch office of the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from TRUST condoms, mama-kits, contraceptives, and water purification products among others.
PSI Uganda is a dynamic country office working to help Ugandans in need to be able to plan their families by accessing reproductive health care products and services close to their homes in a dignified and friendly atmosphere. PSI has been working in Uganda since 2002 and has implemented a variety of programs including social marketing, social franchising and behavior change communication to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across a wide range of health areas including HIV/AIDS, family planning, malaria, and waterborne diseases.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
We are looking for a dynamic proven manager who will provide comprehensive Human Resource and Administration support to PSI Uganda (PSIU) and its affiliate Program for Accessible health, Communication and Education (PACE).
This position is responsible for supporting the strategic success of PSIU/PACE through the design, delivery and implementation of a people (HR) strategy. It ensures the effective delivery of recruitment processes, employment contracts, salary payments and adjustments and the accuracy of data held on the HR information system. It is also responsible for driving strategy and implementation of policies which promote healthy organization culture and the development and retention of employees.
1. Participate and take lead where required in the development, review and implementation of P&C divisional strategy and develop and manage the department budget;
2. In consultation with the HoDs, develop, review and update People and Culture policies as and when applicable;
3. Proactively advise management and staff of any changes in P&C policies, employment law, global PSI HR policies and guidelines; and the implications thereof;
4. Ensure that recruitment procedures are followed and that recruitments are conducted in a timely and efficient manner and that new employees are properly contracted and on boarded;
5. Take the lead in developing strategic recruitment processes that connect to a wide range of suitable talent;
6. Develop and implement staff learning and development plans and initiatives;
7. In conjunction with department managers, coordinate and ensure timely setting and review of performance agreements for staff. Ensure that Subsequent feedbacks and follow-ups are logically concluded and generally promote a performance culture in PSIU and PACE;
8. Provide senior management with advice on employee retention strategies, including policy and benefit revisions;
9. Coordinate timely investigations of grievances and disciplinary issues and facilitate mediation and inquiries and ensure conclusion and responses to the parties involved;
10. Liaise with Finance to ensure timely and accurate payroll processing;
11. Maintain comprehensive human resource records and oversee the management and operation of HRIS to ensure compliance with organizational and legal requirements, as well as provide HR information to the organization;
12. Oversee the Administration function including reception, premises management, office supplies, asset management, contract management and any other administrative roles
13. Organize, manage and coordinate all PACE Board meetings
14. Any other reasonable tasks as assigned by senior management
What are we looking for?
• Bachelor’s Degree ideally in Business, Human Resources or Psychology; advanced degree preferred
• 4-6 years’ experience in HR, People Operations, or Organizational Development, ideally with time spent as a generalist as well as roles in other in other HR disciplines
• In-depth knowledge of the Uganda labor and employment laws
• Experience in an NGO, or creative company preferred with HR responsibility strongly desired
• High degree of business acumen, attention to detail, analytical capacity, and creative problem-solving skills
• Exceptional EQ (Emotional Intelligence) and maturity with experience in conflict resolution
• Must have integrity and honesty above all, and a respect for complete confidentiality of every single human resources matter.
Interested candidates should send applications and detailed CVs by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver to the PSIU Office Reception, addressed to The Director Operations and Management, PSIU at Plot 3 – 5 New Port Bell Road, UAP Nakawa Business Park, P. O. Box 8082 Kampala.
Applications should reach us not later than Monday 4th November 2019 at 5:00pm. Applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible! Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
**Please note PSI Uganda does not solicit for funds during any recruitment process.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status