Global Health Catalyst
September 2019 | Full Time | Based in East Africa
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers – as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you believe in an abundant world full of amazing people who want to help; in the simple human justice to build a life; and in doing a better thing, then read on!
Based in East Africa (location flexible), you’ll support our senior health and nutrition advisors in 7 country programs to achieve our collective global and individual country-level goals. You will use your background in public health, experience in leadership development, and strong orientation to human-centered design to help us achieve a fundamentally different model of humanitarian health programming. Simply put, your purpose will be to motivate and support our health and nutrition staff globally to transform our programming to be compassionate, radically patient-focused, and of human-worthy quality. You’ll be guided by and receive support from the Minneapolis-based Senior Global Health Advisor.
You’ll know you’re doing well if you’re:
You will be joining the Global Health & Nutrition Team, a collective of Alight’s health and nutrition experts in Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Rwanda, DRC, Myanmar, and Thailand. We are a horizontal team of colleagues on a continuous discovery journey of what it means to become Alight in the health and nutrition sectors, supporting each other to deliver a better experience of care and higher quality services to our customers in each country program.
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Area of Work – 90%
– You recognize that the global humanitarian crisis requires new ways of addressing persistent challenges. It’s going to be your job to promote a model of health programming that is higher quality and more relevant, human, and impactful specifically because it has been designed for and with the end-user: the patient. You are not afraid to challenge the status quo or test bold solutions. You enjoy co-creating with others within and outside the health sector to drive innovation, ensure that the patient is always our “North Star”, and that our quality is always a cut above the rest.
– You understand how to continually improve the household-to-hospital continuum of care in humanitarian settings, as well as ensure the design and delivery of person-centered health programs. Much of your day will be spent engaging with our country health teams virtually or in person to collaborate on health and nutrition program design, developing and iterating systems to improve the quality of health service delivery, and mentoring staff to learn and grow both technically as well as in leadership skills.
– You value the importance of context and like being on the go. You will spend a lot of time in our country offices and field sites working directly with country leadership, health and nutrition sector leadership, direct service providers, and our clients to ensure shared purpose, strategy alignment, and human-worthy services.
New or Interesting Projects/Progressive Responsibilities – 10%
– Lean into the things you love and spark your interest, within or outside your team. We need you to honor the work that you’ve committed to doing, but also know that when you are unleashed, so are we.
These are the things we’re aiming to find. However, we’re open to being surprised. If you embody the spirit of Alight, care deeply about the cause, and if you bring something else that’s special, then please reach out.
– You are an exceptional mentor and good listener, with the ability to create and nurture a shared learning environment, foster open and engaging dialogues, and build dynamic and committed teams.
– You are curious and always improving upon your knowledge. You have an MPH or related degree with a breadth of practical experience to back it up.
– You embrace entrepreneurial approaches; have an infectious enthusiasm for public health; and are devoted to refugees, internally displaced people, migrants, and communities affected by or recovering from conflict and emergency.
– This isn’t your first time around the block—as such, you’ve had experience in an advisory role for an INGO, social enterprise, or donor, and you’ve used human-centered design approaches to develop and implement health innovations in humanitarian and/or developing country settings. You have existing global health networks that you can leverage to engage unique, diverse, or unlikely partnerships or unlock new donors.
– You enjoy health program design, human-centered design, developing and managing quality improvement processes, and cultivating leadership development and learning opportunities for colleagues.
– You are talented at managing expectations and your own time. You’re not scared of constantly needing to adjust priorities, working under pressure, and engaging staff in new ways of thinking and doing.
– You work well with a lot of freedom and do you best work in a culture that does the doable with whatever resources we have.
You strive for…
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Family Friendly— We know that you are a whole person with a life and a family. We honor this. In return, we expect that you will take ownership of your work and follow-through on your commitments; sometimes that means flexing your schedule and we’re good with that.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – We strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to our staff each year. We cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents.
Retirement – We contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
Generous Leave Time – Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
Click here to apply: https://wearealight.org/careers/?p=job%2Fou1Tafwi
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.