Job Title : Finance Officer
Supervisor : Deputy Finance Manager
Position Grade : 6 Department : Finance Country/Location : Uganda/Yumbe
About Catholic Relief Services:
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS’ Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations; serving people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development needs in western, central and eastern Uganda. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture, health, microfinance, peacebuilding and youth. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability
You will support the Finance department’s management of accounting systems, policies and procedures in compliance with CRS’ established accounting standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements to support high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. As part of an experienced finance team you will help coordinate daily financial activities through preparation and delivery of financial services.
• Review and supporting documentation of financial transactions to ensure all required documents are accurate and complete.
• Help ensure maintenance of all data required for processing financial transactions for assigned accounts in SunSystems financial accounting package.
• Record delegated financial transactions following appropriate authorizations. Review various accounts to detect irregularities.
• Prepare delegated financial reports, as needed,
• Help share information with and staff on financial accounting policies and procedural compliance issues.
• Assistant Finance Officer – Cashier
• Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
• B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration strongly preferred. Courses in accounting, or a qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent).
• Minimum of two years accounting experience, preferably with an international or local NGO, or a financial/banking institution.
• Familiarity the relevant public donors’ regulations a plus.
• Proficient in Excel and experience with Word and PowerPoint. Knowledge of SunSystems financial accounting package or similar financial reporting software a plus.
• Excellent analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies
• Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
• Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
• Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
• Ability to work collaboratively
Required/Desired Foreign Language
• Good oral and written skills in English
Travel Required 10% travel to support the Hoima sub-office or for training/workshops in Kampala
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Assistant Finance Officer
Internal: Country Representative, Head of Operations, Program Staff, Finance staff, Admin Staff. External: Vendors, Partners, Bankers, Statutory Bodies and Auditors.
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff) These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
DISCLAIMER CLAUSE: This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered:
• Email a cover letter and CV only to email@example.com by September 19th, 2019 at 5:00pm.
• Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy and paste – FINANCEOFFICER only
• All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED. EOE/M/F/D/V