Contract type: National Fixed Term – 1 year
Salary: Competitive Package in line with Oxfam Values
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
In Uganda, our program is anchored on three broad themes deliberately focused on Women’s Rights: Governance and Accountability, Resilient Livelihoods and Humanitarian Preparedness and Response.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here
Oxfam is looking for a competent person to join our dynamic, innovative and committed team in the following position.
The position is responsible and accountable for the day-to-day operations in the finance department. Handle and take charge of the petty cash, process all the payments including staff payroll, vendors on the Oxfam online platform in accordance with the finance manual.
Skills and experience
• Relevant academic qualifications in Accounting, financial management, commerce, economics and/or professional accountancy qualification or equivalent
• Experience in providing range of finance support services ideally in the NGO or public sector (job specific)
• Ability to analyze accounting processes and identify practices and procedures that require correction or modification.
• Significant knowledge and experience of all core financial management activities, including accounts payable, cash management, budget development, statutory requirements (particularly related to Ugandan standards) and standard accounts • Good team player and building skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages such as Word and Excel, accounting packages especially pastel and numeracy skills
• Working at community level and with NGOs
• Self-confidence, maturity & ability to co-operate with a wide variety of people
• Ability to work on own initiative & under pressure and to meet deadlines
• Personal commitment to working as reliable, honest, & trustworthy member of a team
• Enthusiasm for good working practices and ability to analyse and improve systems • Tact/diplomacy
• Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse organisation
• Willingness to travel occasionally outside Kampala & able to cope with difficult conditions
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Attention to detail
• Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
How to apply
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please download the full job profile and apply online. Use this link to apply indicating the position in the email subject line;
https://bit.ly/32k1PN3 – Internal candidates
https://bit.ly/2IXRGye – External candidates
Closing Date: 29 October 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.