Food for the Hungry (FH/U) is a Christian international relief and development organization that has been working in Uganda since 1989. FH is currently operating programs in 26 countries and has national offices on the UK, Canada, Switzerland, Sweden, United States of America and Japan. FH’s primary goal is to respond to development needs and complex humanitarian emergencies. In Uganda, FH is operational in the communities of Adjumani, Kitgum, Lamwo, Kole, Kween, Mbale, Namutumba and Amudat Districts implementing programs in four main sectors of Education; Food Security and Livelihoods; Health/Nutrition and Disaster Risk Reduction; with the Head office located in Kampala.
Job Title: Finance & Admin Officer (1 Position)
Position Type: Fixed Term
Reports to: Program Area Manager
Dotted Line Reporting to: Senior Accountant (East)
Contract Length: 2 years Renewable upon performance
Start Date: October 2019
The Finance & Admin Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the Cluster finance operations including preparing periodic financial reports, reconcile accounting information, review major payments and invoices for consistence with organizational procedures and established accounting formats, support project level procurement and performs administrative duties of the cluster.
Additionally, this position supervises the Cashier/ Stores, Guards, Office Attendants, Driver at Cluster/Field level. The position holder reports to the PAM, with dotted lines to the Senior Accountant and HRO responsible for the respective region.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATION
- The Finance & Admin officer reports hierarchically to the Program Area Manager with Dotted line to the Senior Accountant.
Duties and Responsibilities
Key Result #1 –Cash management
- Ensures that all cash receipt for local collections are deposited on time as appropriate
- Support the PAM in the preparation of monthly cash flow for the cluster and ensure timely submission to the support office for cash for activities to be released
- Ensures that project expenditure remains within monthly cash flow or the budget.
- Monitors all program advances issued at the cluster level and follow up with staff to ensure timely accountabilities.
- Manages petty cash at the cluster level in compliance with the organization policies and procedures.
Key Result #2 – Finance Management
- Obtains monthly bank statement from the bank and reconcile with the cashbook record.
- Reviews all payment requests at cluster level to ensure adherence to FH financial policy and that they are in line with the relevant budgets prior to the PAM’s approval.
- Prepares monthly FH journal templates for the project/cluster and submits to the Support Office by 29th of every month
- Receives monthly Expense reports from the Senior Accountant and analyses the expenditure in line with the budget to advise the PAM or project coordinator on issues that require special attention.
- Support staff to read and understand the financial report and budget and ensure proper use of FH financial coding
- Ensure compliance with donor regulations, FH finance policies and local government rules and regulations;
- Ensure the accuracy and correctness of all transactions against each grant; ensuring all expenditures are posted under the right financial codes.
- Coordinate with the PAM to compile donors, projects and programs feed backs on expense reports to take subsequent corrective action.
- Support the Cluster Program team in developing budgets; Support the Cluster budget preparation for potential and operational programs for the year.
- Capture all information on taxes withheld from suppliers like TIN and Amount Withheld and ensure timely submission to the Senior accountant for filling
- In coordination with PAM & Kampala finance, organize in house training and/or orientation session on finance to projects staff
Key Result #3 – Staff Supervision and Administration
- Supervises all cleaning, Driver, Cashier/Stores, security and office management staff and activities
- In consultation with the immediate supervisor, schedules staff annual leaves, keep and update personnel files and submit monthly staff timesheets.
- In collaboration with the PAM, review monthly financial variance reports and use financial reports as guidelines for adjusting personnel effort and program expenditures;
- Evaluate performance of subordinates.
- Giving support to the Logistic Officers to ensure the right procurement processes are followed and participate in the bid evaluation process for purchases within the cluster threshold
- Monitor monthly log sheets and fuel usage for vehicles & motorcycles and reporting as appropriate
- Support the Program Area Manager in enforcing Organization policies
- Ensure proper filing of records in the field office.
- Assists the PAM in administrative matters.
- Submits required staff information to HR for processing of Payroll, ID’s, N.S.S.F and Insurance/benefits
Key Result #4 – Internal control, Fixed asset and Inventory management
- Checks inventory and fixed asset records of the project monthly.
- Verifies Commodity movement for the Cluster.
- Ensures that the internal control system of the organization are in place and are observed by all staff.
- Support projects audit for the cluster
- Ensure proper fleet management of the cluster
Key Result#5: Safety and compliance
- Ensure safety measures are in place and supervisees are in compliance with the Core Security Requirements as per FHU security manual & SOP’s.
- Report all cases of SEA abuse and ensure that they are followed up appropriately.
- Candidate should have a bachelor’s degree/equivalent in Finance and accounting or related discipline from a recognized university or institution.
- Having completed ACCA/CPA level II is added advantage / pursuing professional qualifications
- Minimum of 3years extensive experience in financial management and co-ordination preferably within an international NGO environment
- Having an auditing background is an added advantage.
- Excellent computer skills in MS word, excel, PowerPoint, Access and Internet and accounting systems specifically Sun System.
- Vibrant personal relationship with Christ, understands and applies FH Foundational Principles and Values, Vision and Purpose.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with colleagues
- Effectively and efficiently manages all resources entrusted to him/her for work purposes
- Maintains an attitude and behavior in accordance with FH values and principles
- Complies to all finance, personnel, procurement and administrative policies of FH
Leadership skill and can supervise others
FHU is an equal opportunity employer. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by Mentioning the position applied for in the Subject line and submitting only electronic copies of not more than 2MB of an application letter, a detailed CV, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant testimonials/certificates, names/contact details of three referees, addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager, Food for the Hungry Uganda
Email: email@example.com not later than Friday 15th August, 2019 at 4:30pm.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Consider your application unsuccessful in case you do not hear from FH by 22nd August, 2019. FHU has policies including a child protection policy that every staff is required to sign.