JOB DESCRIPTION: FIELD OFFICER NAWAD
National Association for Women’s Action in Development (NAWAD) is a voluntary non-governmental
women’s organization that was initiated by a group of women in 2009 and was legally registered in
2010. NAWAD is committed to promote a stable and peaceful society where women and girls access
equal rights in the different spheres of life. The organization focuses on the family and the crucial role
women play in their families, their communities and the development of Uganda as a nation. The main
goal of the organization is to promote the rights of women and girls especially in relation to sustainable
natural resource management and climate change social and economic right and governance, peace and
NAWAD has received a 1-year COVID-19 response grant to implement a project entitled “Strengthen
Grassroots Women to respond to COVID-19 pandemic to enhance Safety” in Mbarara District. The
project focuses on women and girls in market places of Biharwe, Rubaya and Kakika in Mbarara
Municipality. The project will build on the existing women groups in the area to work with an aim of
involving men as change agents in gender based violence to encourage harmonious relationships in the
families. We will also work with the local government offices of the three sub counties especially the
Community Development Officers.
NAWAD therefore seeks to recruit a highly skilled field officer who is highly organised, motivated
and responsible to help ensure the smooth and efficient delivery of the project outputs. She/he must be
passionate about women and girls’ rights. She/he must be ready to demonstrates integrity by modelling
the NAWAD’s values and ethical standards while promoting its vision, mission, and strategic goals.
The Field officer will under the Project coordinator. He/she will be stationed in Mbarara with periodic
visits to Kampala head office.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
• Serving as a field officer of NAWAD and facilitating proactive relationships between the
organization and the broader community in the Mbarara District
• Attend community functions/ meetings on the behalf of NAWAD ie, district board meetings,
Village, community organizations for the purpose of developing NAWAD presence in the
• Spearhead the mobilization and capacity building of community people while fostering an
environment that encourages and supports community involvement and engagement putting
more consideration to women and girls.
• Follow up on all the government plans for Mbarara District and act as an advisor to NAWAD on
all matters relating community development.
• Give support to the implementation of all organizational project activities for Western Uganda
• Develops, plans, and/or coordinates various system-wide district activities (e.g. community
outreach, media/public relations functions, etc.) for the purpose of enhancing district/community
relationships, improving services/programs, and promoting a positive public image.
• Give support community research and documentation in Western Uganda
• Support to fundraising for the organization and make sure that the social economic and
geographic information is well documented and updated always to inform the fundraising
process of the organization.
• Develop monthly project reports to be submitted to the project coordinator
• Minimum of a diploma in social work, Women and gender studies, Community Development
or any other relevant field from a recognized institute. A related undergraduate degree will be
an added advantage
• Computer literate with excellent understanding of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Smartphone or tablet experience also required.
• Ability to multi-task and manage priorities, meeting deadlines as required
• Experience of working with rural communities
• Good reporting skills
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills; resourceful and responsible, with proven
• Ability to communicate clearly and professionally in both spoken and written Runyankitara is a
• Genuine, valid Uganda riding permit is an added advantage
How to Apply
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send applications, a motivation
letter, curriculum vitae, copies of academic qualifications and three referees on email at
email@example.com not later than Friday 31st July 2020 at 5:00. Interviews will take place in Wakiso at
NAWAD head office.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified