POSITION EDUCATION ASSESSMENT COORDINATOR: Ref.CRN/07/2019/02 (1 post)
Full time / Part time Full time
Location KCCA Special Needs Education Assessment Centre at Nakivubo Blue Primary School
Hours of work 40 hours per week
Reporting to Inclusive Education Officer at Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA).
Terms of employment Fixed Term contract Duration of Contract 2 years including 6 months’ Probation Period
CRANE’s vision is to see children safe, well and fulfilling their God-given potential. CRANE seeks to bring lasting change for children by building a network of churches and community organisations that are locally focused and united in purpose and can achieve more by working together than by working in isolation. CRANE’s work for children is based on Biblical principles that puts the child at the Centre and pursues the best interest of the child. The collective action of the members is focused around three main areas: Children are in Safe Spaces; Children are in Loving Families; Children are Educated in Strong, Creative, Holistic, Inclusive and Protective Quality Schools Through its member organisations and development Partners, CRANE is increasing the unity, quality and impact of work for children at risk, impacting over 70,000 children around the country. www.cranenetwork.org Job Specification The Education Assessment Centre is under the management of Kampala Capital City Authority, supported by the Ministry of Education and Sports SNE Department and Children at Risk Action Network. The Assessment Centre delivers assessments that determines educational needs and skills for entry into appropriate learning institutions. The Assessment Centre also provides comprehensive information that enables parents, teachers, and caregivers to make informed decisions about the future education of their children. The Assessment Centre will be managed by the Education Assessment Coordinator
This Person will report to the Inclusive Education Officer at KCCA.
The Education Assessment Coordinator will work with children and young people who need extra support, or require an advanced programme of learning in order to reach their full potential. These may include individuals who have physical disabilities, sensory impairments (i.e. hearing, visual or Sensory processing disorder), speech and language difficulties, learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, conditions such as autism, social, emotional, gifted and talented and mental health needs, or have a combination of these difficulties.
The Education Assessment Coordinator is responsible for coordinating a team of specialists who can support caregivers to identify the individual needs of their children. The Education Assessment Coordinator will also be responsible for creating a safe, stimulating and supportive learning environment at the Assessment Centre.
Roles and Responsibilities
1) Manage the day-to-day activities of the Assessment Centre to ensure efficiency of service delivery. 2) Receive children with special needs at the centre, prepare them and liaise with different professionals to conduct appropriate assessments.
3) Work with stakeholders to support early identification of individual learners’ learning needs.
4) Ensure safe custody of the materials and equipment in the Assessment Centre.
5) Conduct guidance and counselling for parents / guardians of children with special needs.
6) Prepare budgets and work plans for the smooth operations of the Assessment Centre.
7) Prepare periodic progress and situational reports and other relevant performance reports for the Assessment Centre and disseminates them to stakeholders as required.
8) Be the Public Relations Officer for the Assessment Centre.
9) Make periodic follow-up on assessed and placed learners with Special Needs.
10) Work with Special Needs Education Specialists to developing learning programmes and activities for children, teachers, caregivers and other stakeholders to support inclusion of learners with Special Needs. 11) Liaise with internal and external people to ensure timely assessment is done.
12) Remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses.
13) Contribute to the overall success of the Assessment Centre by performing all other duties as requested.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
1) Bachelor of Education (BEd), Education Psychology, Special Needs Education, Social Sciences, Social Work and Administration. Essential
2) Postgraduate Diploma in Special Needs Education. Desirable
3) An additional qualification in Special Needs Education is necessary. Essential
4) At least 5 years of relevant working experience in an educational institution with at least 2 years in Special Needs Education.
Desirable Relevant Skills
1. Commitment to working with learners with special educational needs.
2. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
3. Ability to build good relationships based on trust with pupils and their families.
4. Behaviour management skills, with the ability to manage confrontation and challenging behaviour.
5. Initiative and problem-solving skills.
6. Observant and responsive approach.
7. Flexibility; able to respond to the needs of the children and adapt or change plans accordingly.
8. A positive, energetic and enthusiastic outlook.
9. Patience, understanding and empathy with pupils and parents.
10. A sense of humour.
11. Computer literate.
Application Procedure Should you fulfil the above-mentioned requirement, and be interested in the above position, please submit your expression of interest. (Please quote the Job Reference Number in the subject heading of the letter or email) and a maximum 3 page curriculum Vitae including relevant academic documents and certificates to the address below not later than Friday 09th August 2019 at 5:00pm.
The Head of Human Resources and Field Support Services Children at Risk Action Network, CRANE P O Box 14003 Kampala OR Email email@example.com
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to invite them for interviews