INTERNAL CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Salary band 1
Civil Peace Service (CPS)
Moroto, with regular travels to Soroti and Kampala.
Civil Peace Service (CPS) of GIZ is an independent German programme within the field of international cooperation. It is funded directly through grants from its commissioning party, the German Ministry for Economic Development and Cooperation (BMZ).
The objective of CPS is “to reduce or prevent violence, foster understanding and contribute towards sustainable, just peace in cooperation with local partners.” In other words, it intends to contribute to the reduction of structural causes of violent conflicts and to support mechanisms of peaceful conflict transformation.
In 2014 CPS Uganda started its programme ‘Support for the Participatory Transformation of Land Conflicts in Northeastern Uganda’ in the two sub-regions of Karamoja and Teso. Based on a Multi-Stakeholder-Process in each sub-region, a total of 13 Interest Groups (IGs) formed with the aim to share expertise, better understand land issues and jointly work on the non-violent prevention or transformation of land conflicts. The programm works in Moroto/Karamoja, Soroti/Teso and Kampala.
GIZ is recruiting a driver to support the implementation of programme activities.
The incumbent is responsible for;
▪ Safe and responsible driving of office vehicles
▪ Routine maintenance and care of office vehicles from Moroto and Soroti
▪ Takes careful note of all available information concerning street conditions, effective routes
▪ Running of official errands and assisting with other office services.
Within this context, s/he fulfils the following tasks:
B. Specific Tasks Driving and Chauffeuring
▪ Drive office vehicles safely and chauffeur GIZ employees, official visitors and guests to official destinations
▪ Assists in the transport of goods.
Maintenance of Cars
▪ Regularly cleans the inside and outside of the office vehicles in Moroto and supervises the regular cleaning of vehicles in Soroti.
▪ Checks oil, water, brake and clutch fluids daily; tyre pressures, battery water, and overall vehicle condition on a monthly basis or after 5000 km whichever comes earlier; tests lights, brakes, bodywork for dents, etc.
▪ Reports the need for maintenance and undertakes minor repairs
▪ Immediately reports any involvement of the project/office vehicle in any, even minor
accidents, or any damage or theft of equipment from the vehicle
▪ Logs in vehicle movement in vehicle logbook correctly & accurately daily, and registers each monthly check
▪ Compiles driver reports on condition of vehicle.
▪ Uses all available information (including current radio news on traffic conditions) to update daily knowledge of road conditions, current passable routes and locations, and shares this information with other office drivers
▪ Provides regular updates on road safety, vehicle and log book maintenance, defensive driving, and traffic rules and regulations to DAs
▪ Exchanges this information with other drivers.
▪ Wears proper attire
▪ Serves all passengers in a friendly manner
▪ Runs errands for the GIZ Office e.g. delivery of letters/messages, payment of bills, and
makes minor purchases as directed
▪ Is responsible for official documents in vehicle
▪ Is responsible for a special petty cash and submits vouchers for accounting on a monthly basis
▪ Does not use, at any time, the car for his/her own private purposes. Such misuse of the vehicle is considered a serious misconduct, and will immediately lead to a warning and may result in dismissal
▪ Does not drink alcohol before and during working hours. Other duties/additional tasks
▪ If there is no outside driving activity, s/he stands by in the office, supports other colleagues in case of need, and does other office work as assigned
▪ Reports any incident whilst off duty that may affect his/her driving licence entitlement, as well as any newly known health problems that may affect his/her ability to drive
▪ Assists in and/or carries out other activities and any tasks as assigned
▪ Undertakes further job training related to his/her position and duties, if required.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
▪ Uganda Certificate of Education (“O” Level).
Other knowledge, additional competencies
▪ Possession of a valid driver’s license
▪ Certificate in mechanics and vehicle maintenance
▪ Certificate in defensive driving
▪ Excellent English language skills
▪ Local language skills (Karamoja and/or Teso) required
▪ Discipline and punctuality
▪ Stress tolerance and patience
▪ Evidence of defensive driving courses undertaken is an asset. ▪ Knowledge of Eastern and North-eastern Uganda is an asset.
How to Apply
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by submitting their application and CV along with the contacts of three professional referees to the Human Resource Department through email: email@example.com quoting the position you are applying for and the reference number as the subject. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 13th October 2019. Please note: This is a national position. Application and CV
should be in one document including the relevant attachments. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.