Job Profile: District Program Officer (DPO)
Location: Kaboong and Karenga (Karamoja Sub-Region)
Contract: Short-term (till December 31, 2020)
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are
advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and
technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone
everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve
the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure
health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology
they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human
rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the
longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members
of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
The purpose of the District Health Systems Strengthening on RMNCAH, HIV/AIDS and Nutrition in
Karamoja project funded by UNICEF-Uganda and implemented by IntraHealth International is to use a
health system strengthening approach to address the availability of quality RMNCAH, HIV/AIDS, and
nutrition services in Karamoja. The project will be implemented in the districts of Karamoja and in full
alignment with the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), UNICEF’s Rolling Work Plan, and the
relevant Government of Uganda national policies and guidelines. The project will work at the district,
facility and community level to improve planning, coordination, data use, accountability, quality of care,
continuous quality improvement, and integrated service delivery.
SUMMARY OF ROLE:
The DPO will be responsible for the overall coordination of the District Health Systems Strengthening on
RMNCAH, HIV/AIDS and Nutrition in Karamoja project- supported initiatives in the district of allocation.
S/he will ensure the implementation of the project and District-specific workplan and interventions in the
focus districts and maintain collaborative relationships with DHMT, facilities and other implementing
partners to enhance the capacity of district and facility staff to carry out essential services and ensure
adherence to Government of Uganda (GOU) and UNICEF technical and ethical guidelines/policies.This
position will report to the District Capacity Building and QI technical Advisor.
• Provide technical support to district leadership to develop, implement and monitor an integrated
One District Health Plan including costed inputs from other implementing partners and
• Serve as the liaison between the Moroto-based project technical staff and the district leadership,
including the DHO, DHMTs, health facilities and other implementing partners.
• Work with project team and districts to ensure coordination of the district-specific interventions
in the project workplan at the district, facility and community levels
• Support district leadership to have data-driven performance review meetings
• Support DHMTS to strengthen integrated supportive supervision, mentoring and coaching
• Support DHMTS to continuously use bottleneck analysis for health and nutrition service
• Work with district leadership to strengthen performance management, including supervision to
track contribution of health system strengthening interventions to service delivery outcomes at
the health facility level.
• Work with district leadership to ensure Continuous Quality Improvement training, mentorship,
and coaching at the facility level based on district-specific needs
• Participate in district level quality improvement, assessments and mentorship, with the DHMT to
implement agreed action plans to improve service quality.
• Routinely monitor and support the management and distribution of nutrition commodities and
support nutrition supply chain integration
• Support the project M&E team and the health facilities to ensure 100% reporting, accurate and
• Monitor progress and provide implementation status updates to the Project team and contribute
towards reporting including but not limited to monthly (activity plans and progress reports),
quarterly, and annual reports.
• Minimum qualifications: Degree BSN, MBChB, Social Sciences, or Clinical Medicine with
additional basic degree. A master’s degree in Public Health or its equivalent will be of added
• A good understanding of the District Health System and experience working with DHMTs
• Experience implementing Quality Improvement initiatives and conducting health facility
mentorships will be an added advantage.
• Minimum four (4) years of relevant professional experience managing and implementing
health service delivery programs.
• Preferred technical knowledge and skills in at least two of the following: Nutrition, HIV/AIDS,
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government and NGO representatives
• Preferred work experience with UNICEF and/or as an implementing partner for other donors.
• Preferred work experience in Karamoja
• Willingness to live in a district in Karamoja
• Proficiency with MS Office Suite, with excellent MS Word and Excel skills, MS power point
• Proven interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with all key
• Proven leader with strong communication skills both oral and written.
Other Requirements/Working Condition
• Wilingness to be based in the supported district.
• Willingness and ability to work with all stakeholders.
• Willingness to travel throughout the project area with partners and key stakeholders.
Innovation – Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that
result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global
Accountability – Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions
and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest
impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices,
respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Service Excellence – Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and
techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those
needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
Effective Communication (Oral and Written) – Understands effective communication concepts, tools and
techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language
appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through
the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Planning and Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies
priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources
for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts
plans and actions as necessary.
Interpersonal Relationships – Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across
Divisions, Departments/Country Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits
package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health
workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic
protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of
employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the
compensation of other applicants or employees.
Interested applicants should submit their application and CV title DPO-Kaboong or Karenga to the
Human Resource & Admin Manager through email address email@example.com