Position: District Coordinator.
Location: District to be determined based on business needs.
Marula’s vision is to integrate Ugandan youth into agriculture to tackle the high youth unemployment rate in Uganda and the low youth engagement in the agriculture industry. We are for the youth, by the youth. https://www.marulaconsultancy.com .
The District Coordinator (DC) is primarily responsible for helping Uzima find the market for brooded (month-old) SASSO birds and build out a market linkage network within their district. In order to develop market linkage with smallholder farmers, the DC is accountable for recruitment, selection, appointment, and management of Village Ambassadors (VA). VAs market SASSO to his/her community and collect orders for month-old SASSO from smallholders. The DC ensures consistent growth in orders collected by VAs from smallholder farmers. The position demands a high level of professionalism, people skills, and intensive travel across the district. This position is performed with little supervision and requires initiative, high energy and judgment, and hunger for results.
Duties and Responsibilities
VA Recruitment and Management
● Introduce Uzima and SASSO to key district stakeholders and generate awareness of Uzima’s SASSO within your territory. ● Identify, train and manage 40+ Village Ambassadors (one per Parish) in your assigned district ● Recruit VAs by identifying candidates within each parish through referrals and networking, interviewing candidates, and selecting candidates with the highest likelihood of success. ● Train VAs on product, technical knowledge, and marketing skills; identify skill/ knowledge gap of VAs and provide continuous training. ● Contact all VAs by phone once per week, and visit each parish in person once per month to improve relations with VAs and local stakeholders. ● Ensure VAs are following appropriate policies and procedures with regards to deposit / payment collection and documentation of smallholder farmer orders. ● Remove and replace underperforming VAs
● Serve as Uzima Champion and liaison to local government and stakeholders (e.g., vet office); develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders within district ● Ensure each parish has an active VA, collecting a minimum of 20+ orders per week from smallholder farmers for month-old SASSO ● Manage VA performance to meet target of 30+ orders per week ● Liaise with Operations team to coordinate month-old chick (MOC) delivery routes within your assigned district ● Represent the company on all sector related meetings and regularly participate in farmer gatherings.
Monitoring and Evaluation
● Maintains and updates master list of VAs in his/her district. ● Holds regular meetings with VAs within his/her district. ● Consolidates weekly orders from VAs ● Provides weekly and monthly reports of VA orders and performance.
● Make regular travel in the district to meet and advise VA team.
Key Performance Indicators
● # of active VAs (20+ orders per week) appointed in district – target reaching 40 active VAs in district within 5 months o % active VAs from total VAs on trial / appointed; target 80% o % of inactive VAs replaced within 1 month o 90% of VAs achieving the weekly targets (30+ orders per week) in his/her parish • # of month-old chicks delivered to smallholder farmers • Qualitative KPIs: o 1) Coordination skills on delivery management. o 2) Communication skills. o 3) Relationship building skills with key district stakeholders. Qualifications and Competencies Required
● Passionate about positively impacting smallholder farmers in rural areas ● Certificate / diploma / degree in related field (e.g., Agribusiness, Agriculture, Animal Production) OR 2+ years of field experience in the poultry business or any related field activities ● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (local language; English is a plus) ● Organized and able to keep clear / accurate sales records. ● Carries a positive, inspirational attitude while working under pressure. ● Demonstrates ability to lead, coach, and manage people (particularly farmers / VAs)
● Ability to work independently with limited follow up; entrepreneurial. ● High level of integrity and accountability. ● Strong work ethics.
Application Deadline: Rolling
How to apply, Send your Application letter, CV/resume, academic transcript as one document, and a brief e-mail introducing yourself with the subject line: District Coordinator. to:firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.