MAKERERE UNIVERSITY JOINT AIDS PROGRAM (MJAP)
Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP) is a private-not-for profit Company under Makerere University. MJAP works to build partnerships and strengthen health systems to optimally respond to HIV/AIDS, TB, Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and other diseases of public health importance in Africa.
MJAP is implementing a sub-award grant from Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI), for accelerating HIV/AIDS Epidemic Control in Kampala region; with funding from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
MJAP is seeking competent, passionate and dynamic individual to fill the position of ART Counselor.
Role Title: ART Counselor
Reports to: ISS Clinic Manager
Duty station: Kampala
Role definition: To provide comprehensive HIV/AIDS counseling to clients by conducting health education talks on how they can live positively with HIV; through information giving on ART, prophylactic, other medications, HIV prevention, testing and other areas which affect their quality of life in line with the MJAP clinical guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Discuss the benefits of ART/ARVs with all HIV positive clients, their dosage, possible side effects and how to manage the mild side effects and major side effects as per MJAP and MOH guidelines.
- Monitor the Clients’ adherence to medication and give counsel 100% adherence to medication and clinic schedules in accordance with the MJAP policy.
- Explain to clients the need for laboratory tests, the Results and interprets the meaning of each as per the MOH policy.
- Assess other psychosocial, cultural, spiritual etc. needs the client might be facing with a view of helping them to solve these needs and where possible link them to other service providers to address: substance abuse, mental health issues, teenage pregnancy, rape, child abuse, disclosure issues, bereavement, family support and partner involvement, conflict and child testing, welfare, PMTCT, OVC, crisis, will making and Income generating projects.
- Document learning experiences from each client and apply it in knowledge creation and sharing; to improve counseling services as per the MJAP guideline.
- Counsel TB/ HIV patients on the benefits of adherence to both anti TB and ART medication
- Participate in prevention activities conducted at the clinic like HIV discordant couple forums
- Diploma in any Medical related field from a recognized institution.
- Registered by the Uganda Nurses’ and Midwives’ Council.
- Proof of a valid practicing license with the regulatory body responsible
- Certificate in Comprehensive HIV/ART management.
- At least 2 years’ experience in comprehensive HIV/ART management in a busy clinic setting
- Proficient in Counseling models and Communication skills
- Integrity, confidentiality, empathy and emotional control
- Time management and ability to work under pressure; with minimum supervision
- Ability to engage with partners and all Health care providers from MoH and other Institutions
Interested and qualified candidates should apply via the email below and submit their cover letters, a detailed curriculum vita and copies of relevant academic documents to: email@example.com addressed to; The Human Resource Manager, Makerere University Joint AIDS Program (MJAP), not later than 31st October, 2019 by 5:00pm.
Please ensure that your attachments do not exceed 5 MB.
We do appreciate your interest to work with MJAP. However, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 2 weeks after the submission deadline.