The Uganda Biodiversity Fund (UBF) is an independent Institution, ‘a Trust Fund’ established as
a mechanism to provide sustainable financing for the conservation of priority biodiversity and
ecosystem services in Uganda. The mission of UBF is: “to serve as a catalyst for mobilizing,
managing and channeling financial resources for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use of
natural resources in Uganda for the benefit of current and future generations and the intrinsic value
of nature”. UBF has been implementing programmatic and management activities and undertaking
financial transactions since 2017.
UBF is currently implementing a five USAID’s Uganda Biodiversity Fund Activity whose main
purpose is to further develop the Uganda Biodiversity Fund into a sustainable entity that can
generate and manage financing for biodiversity conservation nation-wide. The goal of this activity
is to ensure a reputable, well-functioning, sustainable UBF that is responsive to Uganda’s
conservation and natural resources management financing needs. UBF is inviting applications
from qualified persons to join their team.
1. FINANCE OFFICER
Job Summary: As a member of the finance department, the Finance Officer will provide financial
management support, monitoring and coordination of activities within the framework of UBF and
ensure all policies and procedures, donor regulations, accounting standards and local laws are
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Liquidity and Cash-Flow Management
• Consolidate annual cash flows for review by Finance Manager.
• Track and monitor funds availability in all bank accounts
• Review and approve units’ cash request
• Prepare, submit and reconcile regularly recharges update remittances.
• Prepare foreign exchange processing and related transfer instructions
• Review and carry out petty cash count
2. Programme plans and Budgets
• Consolidate Programme plans and budgets in line with the UBTF planning guidelines
• Prepare and complete necessary budget templates
• Review unit budgets with unit heads, consolidate and upload budgets into computerized
• Prepare budget cash flow forecast as per approved budget
3. Approval of Payments
• Review cheque, bank transfer payments and journals before approval by the FAM and
2 | P a g e
• Review all staffs accountabilities and claims or refunds
• Vet and review invoices and other payment vouchers prior to submitting them for
• File and keep proper record of all prepayments, accruals and related accounts
4. General Ledger Controls
• Correctly and accurately enter periodic transactions in the accounting system to their
respective accounting codes.
• Check transactions for correct coding and posting to ledger system
• Perform bank reconciliations for all UBTF and project accounts
• Follow-up and monitor agreed period cut-off dates and process such as depreciation,
accruals, adjustments and prepayment allocations
5. Period Financial Reporting
• Prepare management accounts, reporting schedules and tables and forward them to the
Finance Manager for review and further action
• Follow-up and monitor financial performance of the directorates through variance
analysis to identify adverse trends and report to the Finance Manager.
• Produce quarterly expenditure reports for management
• Check and follow-up all monthly tax payments and other statutory deductions and
ensure accurate, timely and complete remittances as required
6. Sub-Grant Management
• Reconcile and submit reconciliation statements of UBF sub-grantees and update
management on the status of individual grantees’ financial position on a regular basis.
• Receive and review financial accountabilities/expenditures of sub-grantees on a regular
• Regularly check accuracy of the sub-grantees financial reports and that the grantees
financial performance is in adherence to UBF’s policy and procedures and donor
• Generate monthly reports on grantee accountability status
7. Asset Register Maintenance
• Update Fixed Assets Register in system, ensuring appropriate accounting for fixed
assets including proper treatment of depreciation.
• Verify all UBTF assets are always under insurance cover and renewed whenever
• Periodically carry out any stocktaking and fixed assets verification exercise
• Prepare and attend to the needs of internal and external auditors and implement
• Give technical support and help build capacity of sub-grantees and sub-partners
• Expeditiously prepare and submit monthly tax returns and other statutory obligations
• Analyse vehicle’ fuel consumption by performing fuel analysis monthly
3 | P a g e
• Back up accounting systems data and maintain a log and submit to Finance manager
• Contribute actively to the development of mechanisms which ensure that operations of
UBF are implemented in a cost effective manner.
Qualifications, Experience, Competencies and Personal Attributes
Qualifications and Experience
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Financial Management or
Accounting from a recognized University
• Accounting Professional qualification e.g. CPA, ACCA.
• Proficiency with accounting software e.g. Navision, Quick Books, Sun System, Pastel, along
with Microsoft Office Applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a similar position.
• Experience with donor/NGO financial accounting procedures
Competencies and Personal Attributes:
• Finance management skills
• Budgeting and budgetary control
• Analytical skills
• Donor financial accounting procedures
• Knowledge of Tax laws and systems in Uganda
• Planning and organizing skills
• Good verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills in English.
• Ability to establish critical working relationships
• Ability to promote and safeguard UBTF policies
• Ability to work in a multicultural diverse environment and under pressure
• Demonstrated ability to adhere to strict confidentiality involving internal/ external information.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team with minimal supervision.
2. DRIVER AND LOGISTICS OFFICER
Job Summary: The Logistics Assistant/ Driver performs the operations, maintenance, and
management of UBF vehicles, including routine maintenance, registration, tagging and tax
exemptions, as well as coordinating transportation for the Fund activities for all staff. S/he will
also provide logistical support in delivery of welfare services to UBF staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Full time driver and ensures vehicle maintenance in line with the organization’s standards.
2. Drive the office vehicle/s to transport authorized personnel and delivery or collect documents
and other items to required destination/s.
4 | P a g e
3. Maintain the assigned vehicles, renew all required licenses and vehicle insurances, and
perform minor repairs.
4. Ensure that the vehicle is kept clean in line with UBF standards.
5. Maintain trip movement records, logging official trips, daily mileages, fuel consumption, oil
changes, greasing, etc. in the logbooks in line with UBF vehicle usage policy.
6. Inspect and report faulty office equipment
7. Provide logistics technical assistance as and when requested by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• The ideal candidate must hold an Advanced Level Certificate of Education, with a Credit in
• A certificate in automobile mechanics is also required.
• A certificate in Logistics management or procurement will be an added advantage.
• Hold a valid Driver’s permit of two or more Classes, preferably DL, CM and CH Classes.
• A certificate in Defensive driving from an established driving school/firm is an added
• A minimum of five years’ clean driving record preferably in a busy NGO or corporate.
• Skills in fleet management and mechanics.
• Must be Computer literate
• Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
• Excellent communication skills.
• Excellent coordination and organizational skills. A good timekeeper
• High degree of integrity and confidentiality.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• A client orientation to service provision.
• A team player.
How to apply?
All candidates should send their applications with updated CVs including three work related
referees addressed to: The Executive Director through e-mail address
email@example.com Please indicate the title of the Job you are applying
for in the Subject line of the Email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. Any applications submitted after the
deadline shall not be considered.
Deadline: 31st July 2020