Catholic Relief Services, Uganda Program
Job Title: Program Manager II- Program Implementation Lead
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party-Nuyok
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the
poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We
welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our
values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees
living in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development
needs in western, central and eastern Uganda. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture,
health, microfinance, peacebuilding and youth. CRS Uganda implements its programs through
partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and
community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
CRS is leading a consortium of six implementing and technical partners to run a five-year, $35 million
USAID/FFP funded program called Nuyok to build resilience to shocks, enhance livelihoods through
improved food security and nutrition and promote maternal and child health for vulnerable rural families
in four districts of Karamoja – Abim, Nakapiripirit, Nabilatuk and Napak. Nuyok seeks to strengthen
governance and gender equity, community capacity to manage shocks and stresses, traditional and
diversified livelihood opportunities and nutrition and health (including improved water, sanitation and
hygiene (WASH) of pregnant and lactating women, adolescent girls and children under five years of
You will manage and provide oversight of Nuyok field implementation ensuring effective layering and
integration, effective systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming at
district level and advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable.
Your coordination and management skills and knowledge will ensure that Nuyok delivers high-quality
programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its integrated approach to food
• You will coordinate field implementation of project activities at the consortium level. This
includes planning, coordination and oversight of field implementation, reporting, and
• Lead the development of project level quarterly workplans and support district implementation
team develop district workplans.
• Provide management, guidance, and oversight to district field implementation teams to ensure
field implementation are in line with CRS quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and
industry best practices. This includes troubleshooting to ensure efficient use and stewardship of
project sources and making them available to the field implementation teams to timely execute
• Coordinate the development of district technical reports and compile the program level technical
• Establish a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and enhance the
capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies.
• Lead the development of program learning in cross-purposes field implementation and across
implementing partners and identify opportunities for learning, research and publications in these
area and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
policy. Facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to
the agency knowledge management agenda. Ensure integration of innovations and best practices.
• Contribute to the proactive pursuit of opportunities for new funding to ensure growth of the
country program project portfolio in line with agency, regional, and country program strategic
priorities. Serve as a resource and technical writer for Nuyok’s contribution in the design of
organizational structure to ensure quality proposals per agency and donor standards. Contribute
to budgeting and staffing plans and activities for proposals.
• Oversee technical assistance and capacity strengthening activities in the organization of field
implementation for staff and partner organizations to enhance program quality and impact.
• Effectively manage talents and provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development
plans, and complete performance management for direct reports.
• Oversee identification, assessment and strengthening of partnerships relevant to field
implementation and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
• Raise CRS’ and Nuyok’s visibility with the participating communities, local government
officials, peer and donor organizations.
Scope: Directly supervises 3 District Implementation Leads.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
• Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or in the fields of rural
development, management, organizational development, community development or any other
• Minimum of 4-5 years’ experience in program/project management with an international NGO,
with preferably at least 2-3 years working in integrated food security projects implemented by a
• Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for grants
from multiple public donors, including USAID
• Demonstrated ability to write high quality technical proposals and reports in English.
• Experience engaging with partner organizations
• MEAL skills and experience
• Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
• Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web
Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions
and offer innovative solutions
• Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and
externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship
• Good facilitation skills
• Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language
Strong written and verbal communication skills in English with ability to write technical reports.
Knowledge of Ngakaramojong or Leb-thur is a plus.
Travel Required Based in CRS Moroto Sub-Office with at least 50% travel to Nuyok implementation
districts and Kampala Head Office
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Supervises 3 District Implementation Leads
Internal: Deputy Chief of Party, Chief of Party, Head of Office, MEAL Specialist, Head of Program,
Regional Technical Advisors, Country Representative and other Country Program Technical staff.
External: USAID Nuyok Activity Manager, Implementing Partners Staff, District Line Department
Staff and other NGO staff
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member
to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity: Treats all people with fairness, honesty, dignity and response
• Accountability and Stewardship: Models stewardship and promotes team accountability
• Builds Relationships: Develops mutually beneficial relationships based on solidarity, shared
interest and goals.
• Promotes Learning
Competencies Relevant for the Specific Position (include those that are applicable):
• Develops Talent: Takes responsibility for own development and engages in learning with others
• Continuous improvement and innovation
• Strategic mindset: Aligns personal work goals, actions and communications with the agency’s
strategic priorities and results.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities
associated with the position.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries
out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We
welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our
commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to
protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people
with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human
trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a
comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate
my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable
adults from abuse and exploitation.
NOTE: To apply, please follow the instructions below:
• Email a cover letter and CV only to email@example.com by July 3, 2020 at 5:00pm. Large
files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application.
• In the subject line of the email, copy and paste PMPROGRAMIMPLEMENTATIONLEAD.
All applications that do not contain this subject line will be rejected and not read.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED