JOB DESCRIPTION – PRIMARY PROCESSING MANAGER
Department: Processing & Distribution
Reports to: Processing & Distribution Director
Number of Direct Reports: Grading and Sorting Team, Harvest Team,
Ice Plant Team.
The Yalelo brand has become synonymous with pioneering aquaculture practices in sub-Saharan Africa.
Founded in 2011 Yalelo has grown quickly to become the leading producer of fresh Tilapia in Africa,
harvesting approximately 1000 tons per month in Zambia. We breed and grow our Tilapia in the waters
of Lake Kariba, distributing our fresh produce to over 50 retail outlets across the country daily. Yalelo is
now developing a replica operation in Uganda where construction is underway on a 90-acre site, soon
set to become the most technologically advanced aquaculture production, processing and distribution
facility on the continent.
You will be working at the production site on Lake Victoria, approximately 15 kilometers from
Jinja town. A purpose-build grow out site on the lake is currently under construction; due to
complete Phase 1 by the end of Q3 2020. This role offers a unique opportunity to join a team
preparing to deliver on ambitious growth targets from project inception, with the chance to implement
best practices and operating standards from the outset.
The Primary Processing Manager will lead the development, execution and monitoring of the Primary
Processing department in line with the overall operational objectives to achieve the first stages of
processing for Yalelo Uganda. As the Primary Processing Manager, you will be responsible for the receiving
of fish from the Harvest Department and conducting the first stage of the processing of the fish. This will
include getting the product down to suitable cold chain temperature, weighing and counting the product,
grading and sorting, packaging and storage, freezing and chilling and then close liaison with the Dispatch
Team for distribution of fresh whole round fish to points of sale across Uganda, and future export markets.
• Overseeing product handling, weighing, grading sorting and packaging. To ensure that the product
is processed in the most efficient and cost-effective way, with upholding quality standards.
• Developing and Implementing process flows on receiving and handling product in the primary
processing and best equipment utilization.
• Can contribute information and recommendations to strategic plans and upscaling.
• Reviews and prepares action plans in production, productivity and quality, resolving problems;
completing audits; identifying trends.
• Aligns with the sales and distribution department regarding their demands, timing and product
specifications needed for the sales team.
• Ensures that the processing facility and workforce implement food safety guidelines and
regulations. Work towards SQF, HACCP, GMPs standards and implementation.
• Implementing appropriate software to ensure that there is complete and accurate data capturing:
in team performance, cold chain and quality control, hygiene and sanitation, loss minimization as
well as reconciliation of harvests/processing/inventory/dispatch.
• Meets processing operations financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual
budget and scheduling expenditures.
• Works as part of the Management team to share ideas and improve operations.
• Ongoing optimizing of process flows to ensure the most effective way of completing daily
product process and in the shortest time possible, with upholding quality standards.
• Identifies hazards and maintains a safe working environment.
• Recruitment, training, and evaluating employee’s performance; Communicating job expectations,
reviewing job contribution and enforcing policies and procedures.
• Conducts risk assessments of processes and tasks across the department.
• Monitors quality testing results and acts as required to ensure all quality specifications are met.
Keeps senior management informed on key operational and production conditions and trends.
• Implementing a primary process best practice cleaning plan, to ensure H&S and food safety is
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree in Production Engineering, Food Science and Technology.
2. At least 5 years of experience working in Primary processing operations, which must include 2
years’ supervisory experience in an FMCG environment (fish processing strongly preferable).
3. Proven work experience in corporate/multinational working environment.
4. Action and detail oriented, having a drive for success.
5. Analytical and problem-solving skills.
6. Strong management and leadership skills together with excellent communication, influencing,
negotiating and presentation skills.
7. Resilience and the ability to work independently and effectively under pressure.
8. Flexible and adaptable with the ability to work within a changing environment and respond to
different demands with a sense of urgency.
9. Advanced knowledge and understanding of Food processing principles, methods, and standards
including SQF, HACCP, GMPs and all food safety guidelines and regulations.
10. Knowledge and understanding of all relevant national laws, regulations, and operating guidelines.
11. Strong computer literacy with a professional working knowledge of the full range of MS Office
packages as well as demonstrable experience of usage of ERP software applications (SAP / MS
D365 / Sage).
How to apply: Interested candidates should submit their online application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th