ABOUT CARE INTERNATIONAL CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to the dignity of people. CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice. We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with dignity and security. We put women and girls in the centre because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. CARE has been working in Uganda for 50 years and in 2019/2020, we improved the lives of 2.6 million people (60% women). Our goal for the next five years is to reach ten million people, through our gender transformative, resilience building, and lifesaving programs
ABOUT THE WENG PROGRAM CARE’s Women Empowerment in Natural Resource Governance (WENG) program is one of the most established programs at CARE Uganda, with over 20 years of progressive programing aimed at empowering women and girls in natural resource governance. The program is well known for its ground breaking work in community forest and wetlands management across different districts and at national level working with Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE), National Forestry Authority (NFA), National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) and the Parliament of Uganda to influence policies and practices. The focus of this program in the coming years is to consolidate the gains in natural resource governance and climate change, and further develop its new frontiers including disaster risk reduction, green value chains, renewable energy and waste management, through innovative, sustainable and scalable models. It will require the program to strengthen its strategic engagement with the government, evidenced-based advocacy institutions and the private sector. It will require the program to diversify its funding and program portfolio across: natural resource governance, climate change, disaster risk reduction, greed value chains and renewable energy. It will require the program to expand its advocacy and convening role.
CARE International in Uganda therefore seeks to recruit a Ugandan professional who is passionate about gender transformation, building resilience and empowering women and girls to join this noble fight against poverty and injustice by filling up the following position:
1. Program Manager-Natural Resource Governance, 1 Position,
Location: Kampala with 50% travel to the field.
The Program Manager is responsible for providing strategic direction for the program, providing technical leadership in defining the program strategies, approaches and models, providing management oversight of program delivery, ensuring program quality and learning, engaging in strategic networks, maintaining strategic relationships, generating evidence and influencing policies and practice. S/he is responsible for ensuring robust program strategy and delivery models, program funding is secured, stable and sustainable, program delivers high quality results with good value for money, program empowers women and girls and program evidence is generated and used for influencing policies and practices at the highest level.
PERSON SPECIFICATIONS: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS Essential:
1) Masters in Natural Resources, Environment, Climate Change, Climate SMART Agriculture or Renewable Energy from reputable university. Applicants with Bachelor degree in similar field, plus 15 years of relevant experience will be considered.
2) 10-15 years of relevant experience with reputable international organisations or private sector managing similar programs with similar complexity.
3) Experience in gender transformative approaches, including specific experience in working with and empowering women and girls and amplifying their voice.
4) Experience in developing program strategies, approaches and models.
5) Experience in program design, proposal writing, resource mobilisation.
6) Experience in managing a diverse and complex team of professionals.
7) Experience in networking and strategic relationships management.
8) High conceptual abilities, strategic thinking and analytical writing skills.
9) Good presentation, public speaking, discussion and negotiations skills.
10) Good research, evidence-generation, policy debate and advocacy skills. Desired:
11) Professional training and experience in project management, Monitoring and Evaluation.
12) Professional training in budget management, people management and communications.
13) Professional training in research, analytical writing, advocacy and policy influencing.
14) Professional experience in working with young people, displaced & refugee communities.
15) Professional experience in economic empowerment models including financial inclusion.
Interested and suitable candidates should submit their applications and CVs including the names, daytime telephone contacts and email addresses of three work related referees to email@example.com by 27 April 2020. Please indicate job title in your email subject line. CARE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES and GENDER SENSITIVE EMPLOYER WITH ZERO TOLORANCE TO CORRUPTION, SEXUAL EXPLOITATION AND ABUSE. AS SUCH, THE SELECTION FOR THESE ROLES WILL BE COMPETETIVE AND TRANSPARENT Please Note that CARE does not ask any applicant payment for any recruitment process. For any questions please call our office on 0312258100/150
N.B: Refer to the Job description below for more details about the job